Requirements for Active Membership are as follows:
- Possession of an unlimited license to practice medicine and surgery in the State, Province or Country of the applicant’s practice.
- Possession of an M.D. or D.O. degree (or United States medical licensure equivalent), and completion of an ACGME accredited urology residency (or equivalent accreditation organization) or the certifying Board of Urology in the country where practicing.
- Limitation of practice to the specialty of Urology.
- Certification by the American Board of Urology(ABU), American Osteopathic Board of Surgery (AOBS), or the certifying Board for Urology in the country where practicing.
Requirements for Associate membership are the same as Active membership, except for Board certification. Associate Members shall pay the annual dues, assessments, and initiation fees as determined by the Board of Directors. They shall not be eligible to vote or hold office, nor has right, title or interest in the real or personal property of the Section.
- Candidate Members Eligible for Fast Track Associate Status. Associate membership in the Section and the AUA will be offered to all Candidate members who have passed the qualifying examination (Part I) of the American Board of Urology or equivalent American Osteopathic Board of Surgery (AOBS) examination.
- Associate Membership is available to non-member urologists who are practicing within the geographic boundaries of the Section but are not certified by the American Board of Urology or American Osteopathic Board of Surgery (AOBS) examination.
Allied membership is available to Non-Physician Scientists and is not usually available for physicians certified by medical boards. However, in exceptional instances, persons in related fields of medicine and science, who do not qualify for other categories of Section Membership, may be considered for Allied Membership provided they have contributed significantly to the specialty of Urology. They shall be nominated by two Active or Senior members who shall furnish the Section Secretary with the curricula vitae and other pertinent information.
Allied Members shall pay the annual dues, assessments and initiation fees as determined by the Board of Directors. They shall not be eligible to vote or hold office.